Psychological Strategies - Individual and Group Programs
Psychological Strategies is a free program that provides structured groups and individual counselling for people of all ages with or at risk of developing a diagnosed mild to moderate mental illness and their carers.
The program has been developed for people who will benefit from short to medium term psychological interventions and who are not able to afford full fee or MBS Better Access subsidised services.
Of particular significance in this model:
- The inclusion of service access capacity for humanitarian entrants
- The capacity to offer a combination of individual and group sessions
- Up to 20 sessions where this is clinically appropriate
Psychological Strategies is delivered by the following credentialed allied health professionals (AHP):
- Credentialed mental health nurses
- Occupational therapists with documented mental health training
- Accredited mental health social workers
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers with a Certificate four in Primary Health Care Practice.
This service is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the PHN Program.
This program offers:
- Individual counselling support,
- Structured skills based groups,
- specialist treatment groups.
Who can access this program?
To be eligible for Psychological Strategies individuals must
– Have a clinical diagnosis of mental illness of mild to moderate severity as defined by the International Classification of Disease (ICD) OR
– Have symptoms of/ be at risk of developing a mental illness, for children up to age 17 OR Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
– Benefit from a short to medium term psychological strategies intervention
– Not be able to afford full fee or MBS Better Access subsidised psychological services
– Live or have a GP within the EMPHN catchment.
What does it cost?
There is no charge for this program.
When can this program be accessed?
Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Some late sessions may be available based on demand and clinician availability
How can you access this program?For more information please contact us on 1300 00 EACH (1300 00 3224).
Groups and Programs:
Psychological Strategies Groups are for people of all ageswith or at risk of developing a mild to moderate mental illness that supportwith anxiety, depression, pain management and building resilience.
These 4-week group programs are run across a range oflocations through the year, they include:
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Skills Group forAnxiety and Depression
Anxiety and Depression - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy SkillsGroup
Building UR Resilience - Young Peoples Group
Living with Persistent Pain - Learn strategies to helpmanage pain
Grief and Loss Support Group for Teenagers
Mood Regulation & Identity for Young Men - ACT GroupProgram
For more information on the Psychological Strategies groupscall (03) 8892 4200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.