Psychological Strategies - Individual and Group Programs
Psychological Strategies is a free program that provides structured groups and individual counselling for people of all ages with or at risk of developing a diagnosed mild to moderate mental illness and their carers.
The program has been developed for people who will benefit from short to medium term psychological interventions and who are not able to afford full fee or MBS Better Access subsidised services.
Of particular significance in this model:
- The inclusion of service access capacity for humanitarian entrants
- The capacity to offer a combination of individual and group sessions
- Up to 20 sessions where this is clinically appropriate
Psychological Strategies is delivered by the following credentialed allied health professionals (AHP):
- Credentialed mental health nurses
- Occupational therapists with documented mental health training
- Accredited mental health social workers
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers with a Certificate four in Primary Health Care Practice.
This service is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the PHN Program.
This program offers:
- Individual counselling support,
- Structured skills based groups,
- specialist treatment groups.
Who can access this program?To be eligible for Psychological Strategies individuals must
- Have a clinical diagnosis of mental illness of mild to moderate severity as defined by the International Classification of Disease (ICD) OR
- Have symptoms of/ be at risk of developing a mental illness, for children up to age 17 OR Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- Benefit from a short to medium term psychological strategies intervention
- Not be able to afford full fee or MBS Better Access subsidised psychological services
- Live or have a GP within the EMPHN catchment.
What does it cost?There is no charge for this program.
When can this program be accessed?
Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Some late sessions may be available based on demand and clinician availability
How can you access this program?For more information please contact us on 1300 00 EACH (1300 00 3224).
Groups and Programs:
Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and skills based groups will be routinely offered.
Specialist mental health treatment groups will be developed to meet demand.
CBT - Core Skills Group
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for anxiety and depression
This is a 4 week group program (6-10 participants) exploring the foundations of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). CBT is an evidence-based treatment approach for a range of mental health concerns such as depression and anxiety, and low intensity mental health disorders.
This program aims to empower people to learn valuable skills to better cope with life's challenges.
- Learn about the connection between our thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- Start to identify and challenge unhelpful patterns
- Build your 'toolbox' for managing difficult thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- Come up with different ways to view problems when they pop up
- Practical self-help strategies including relaxation techniques
- Work to bring about positive changes to improve quality of life
This group can be accessed on its own, or in combination with individual counselling under the Psychological Strategies program through EACH.
What to bring: yourselves and an open mind!
|Where:||Suite 2 28 Prospect Street, Box Hill EACH Site location|
|When:||From Wednesday 1st November time 4:00pm - 6:00pm for 4 weeks|
|Where:||2 Capital City Boulevard, Westfied Knox Ozone, Wantirna South EACH Site location|
|When:||From Thursday 2nd November time 10:00am - 12:00pm for 4 weeks|