Our Gambler’s Help Eastern team had a very hectic schedule during one of the most important weeks of the year to raise awareness of Gambling Harm in the community.
The team are attended/held 16 events during this week across the Inner and Outer East areas of Melbourne and linking with some activities for Mental Health Week.
Activities and events included:
- Westfield shopping centre in Knox
- Forest Hill Chase shopping centre
- Doncaster Public library
- Belgrave Public library
- The Craig Family Centre in Ashburton
- Community houses in Mitcham
- Community houses in Bayswater
- Woolworths in Yarra Junction
- A Mandarin language event and a session for seniors partnering with Wavecare will be held on consecutive days at the Ibis hotel in Glen Waverley
- EMHSCA Mental Health event in Box Hill Town Hall and holding a stall at the Batesford Hub in Chadstone.
Team members are assisting at the Salvation Army in Camberwell and HICCI in Healesville. Finally they will be out in force at Ringwood station combining with mental health activities on the Friday evening.
Gambling is becoming so normalised now that it is perceived as part of the game.
Did you know that:
- 1:5 Victorians who gamble may be experiencing harm from gambling?
- 71% of Victorians think adolescents are exposed to too much gambling advertising?
- In 2017 the Gambling industry spent $253.2 Million in Advertising
- 1: 4 children can name 4 gambling brands or more!
- Betting has become so normal that an 8 year old child watching AFL footy today will have never seen a game without gambling odds!
Problem Gambling has now been recognised as an addiction like any other and gamblers need support in order to regain control.
The Gambler’s Help Team offer Financial Counselling, Therapeutic Counselling and community education and have Venue support staff who go to hotels and gambling venues and train staff to recognise and assist people showing signs of gambling harm.
More information call the Gamblers Help team on 1300 131 973 or GHEIntake@EACH.com.au